We just got back yesterday from our little weekend get-a-way to Vermont. We stayed at the church owned campground, Camp Joseph, just outside Sharon, Vermont, the birthplace of the prophet Joseph Smith. We arrived Saturday afternoon just barely missing a million teenage girls that finished up Girls Camp. Whew...that was close. Elder and Sister Cochran, the elderly missionaries that oversee the camp were worn completely out. We got to pick out our campsite and after setting up camp we drove into South Royalton and Bethel looking for gas and groceries. We learned we were in the middle of nowhere and the main attraction is tubing down the river that flows through the towns. (Although one scantily clad couple chose to float down the river on an air mattress.)
After a campfire, weenie roast and smores, we retired to our tent for the night. On Sunday morning we showered and cooked a hot breakfast, then drove to Burlington. On the way we stopped at the Ben & Jerry's factory for a tour and of course some yummy ice cream. Jeffrey had chocolate fudge brownie, Emily had phish food, Jamie had peanut butter cookie dough, and I had, of course, chocolate therapy.
In Burlington, VT we walked around and had lunch at "The Ice House" Restaurant. Then we looked at some boats and took a cruise tour of the lake. After stopping at an un-airconditioned Wal-Mart in 95 degree weather, we headed back to camp.
The next morning I heard a loud noise that woke me up around 5:30 am. When I looked outside, what did I see? Two or three horses (I didn't have my glasses on) right in our campsite!! It was crazy!!! I put on my glasses and dug around for my camera but they ran off before I could get a picture. It was so sureal because the sun was just coming up and it was dead quiet except for the noise their hooves made. I wish I could have taken a picture.
Jamie had to go back to work today and the rest of us rested, did laundry and put stuff away. Camping can be fun I guess, but it was a lot of work. Now I feel I need a vacation, so does Jamie. The kids just go with the flow.
Coming up: School Starts August 26th!!!! So hard to believe.

No comments:
Post a Comment