Daisypath Vacation tickers

Watch This!!!

Sunday, August 9, 2009

Bus Trips, Birthdays and Babies...and More!

Jessica, Lane and Emily on the train to NYC

Emily's birthday party


Hill Cumorah Pageant - Palmyra, NY



You can tell by my lack of posts that we have had one busy summer! Alas, we did not get to take a fun vacation...maybe next year. I can't believe school starts in 2.5 weeks!!!

On July 10 we took a bus trip to Palmyra, NY to visit some of the historical sights of our church. The main event was the "Hill Cumorah Pageant" which took place around 9:15pm. It was a long day. We left Woodbridge CT (1 hour from home) at 6:00 am. We arrived in Palmyra around noon. We ate a picnic lunch that we packed, climbed to the top of Hill Cumorah and then we went to the town of Palmyra to visit the sight of the printing press where the first Book of Mormon was printed. After a trip to Joseph Smith's family home and The Sacred Grove, we spent a few hours at the pageant sight holding our seats eating a yummy chicken dinner from the concession stand and waiting for the show to start. One thing that happened was Jeffrey lost his little notebook filled with his "inventions." We retraced our steps over and over and I asked at the Visitors Center twice but we couldn't find that little treasure. I felt bad for Jeffrey and worse for me because I wanted to keep that little notebook. It was so cute and he worked so hard on his drawings. Anyway, the pageant was great (except for the few rude people we had sitting around us) and we got back on the road around 11 pm, arriving back in Woodbridge at 6-ish am. We ate breakfast at a diner around there and came home and SLEPT!!!! I think we had a fun time but Emily says she NEVER wants to go back. We do need to take another trip there while we're living in the area, but not at pageant time. There were just way too many people there and that really takes away from the spirit. Jamie and I went there in 1995 or so (can't remember) in May. We were basically the only ones there so we had the missionaries and tour guides all to ourselves. They were able to share their testimonies with us personally and there was definitley a good spirit there. I would also have liked to seen more of the Palmyra Temple which has been built since we were last there. We got to drive past it and that's all.

So the 12th was my birthday which was on a Sunday. We celebrated by going to church!!! We also celebrated by Jamie grilling yummy stake and the family got me an ice cream cake from Carvel. I received books from Jamie, a big pink umbrella from Jeffrey and a beach bag with matching flip flops from my girl....oh, and an i-phone from ME!!!

Emily's birthday was 2 days later on the 14th. This was the "climax" of the week, of course! She celebrated by going to Girl Scout Camp!!! Jeffrey helped me decorate her cake (with horses of course) and that night we had her requested dinner, Shrimp with orzo (a creation of mine that she loves.) Her chocolate cake had horses all over it. She got a Breyer horse from Jeffrey, a magic/card trick set from Jamie, a ds game from me. Our trip to the American Girls store & cafe was part of her birthday too so I would say she did pretty well!

The following week we were blessed by a visit from my sister, Jessica and her "baby" Lane. He was 16 months old when he flew on an airplane for the first time (I was 17 years old.) We had a nice time visiting but Lane didn't care much for me. I was so sad he didn't want anything to do with me. He liked Jeffrey the most, Emily was ok, and Jamie was ok too. Oh well. I'm trying to think of ways to bribe him for future hugs and kisses. We took a day trip to NYC with Jessica and Lane. We went to FAO Schwartz, Central Park Zoo, and walked many, many blocks in the rain and visited Toys R Us where everyone likes to stock up on fun candy!!! It was super-crowded at the toys r us so we didn't get to ride the ferris wheel inside. Next time Lane!!!!

The rest of July was spent with Jeffrey and Jamie attending Cub Scout Camp and this past week the kids finished up swim lessons. Emily advanced to level 6 and Jeffrey advanced to level 4 in the first session. He missed about half of the 2nd session due to camp and RAIN!!!! Oh, the rain. There has been way too much of it for my liking this summer. I get a headache just thinking about it. I really miss going to a beach...a warm beach. We may take a day trip to the sound which is the closest I can get to a beach but the water is too darn cold and I won't get in it.

So as you can see we are staying busy and enjoying our summer. The kids are not looking forward to school starting. I will miss them when they go but I don't want to think about that right now. Coming up.....we are going on a two-night camping trip to Sharon VT next weekend. We will also go see Lake Champlain (hopefully I can get Jamie to stop calling it Lake "Champaign" before we go so he won't embarass me in front of the locals.)

No comments:

Post a Comment